Vocal Male / Female
Olembelona Ricky (BW113)
"Everyone wants to live longer, to be creative and original. Everyone wants to do things in a new way. Do not forget the roots. Without them we will never be able to realise the real power"
Headlines declaring 'Ricky Mania!' in the Malagasy press testify to the popularity of Ricky Randimbiarison, who is know throughout the island as 'Olombelona Ricky' ('Ricky-the-human-being'). Fully versed in the diverse forms of indigenous music in his native country, this album represents Ricky's first outernational venture.
Originally recorded in Switzerland in 1996 by Ricky and his band - Toty, Seta, Luc, Mendrika & Rivo - this music was remixed at Brownhill Farm, west Sussex by Airto Moreira and Ricky in July, 1997, with overdubs by Mabi Thobejane, Suzan Hendricks, Diana Moreira, and Mantombi from Amampondo.
All music and lyrics by Ricky, except: 'Adolantsento', composed by Toty with lyrics by Ricky; 'Tsy Hiady', composed by Ricky with lyrics by Pilaza; 'Faradia', composed by Mantombi with lyrics by Ricky.
Track Listing (30 Second Samples)
1. ADOLANTSENTO (ADOLESCENCE)
2. TSY HIADY (I WON'T ARGUE WITH YOU)
3. GASY 100% ('MASEKI' = 'MALICIOUS')
4. FARADIA (THE LAST JOURNEY)
5. IMAMOHAMANDRY (THE WAKE-UP DRUM)
6. ADINONY IANAO (HE HAS FORGOTTEN YOU)
7. ZANAHARY (THE CREATOR)
8. DIAVOLANALAVA (FULL MOON)
9. EO ANILANAO EO (BY YOUR SIDE)
10. ZAZA MITOMANY (CRYING BABY)
11. O ENDRE O ABA (HEY MUM, HEY DAD)