Castro B self thought musician and DJ was born in East Rand, Johannesburg. He introduced himself to music by making his own tin guitar at the age of 6 copying the tunes the elders in his township played in the streets. The strong influence of traditional music grew on him and carried well into the 90s. In 1995 Catro B got his first PC making his own tracks in his bedroom studio playing and testing them out at parties in the hood
Album: Castro B Fidelity
find additional unreleased tracks by Castro B on MP3 only
Five years later having Djd in many clubs Castro B
met comedy gospel singer Philani Mabanga who strongly believed in his
talents and engaged him as his producer.
The two of them started appearing together at almost every Philani gig
which gave Castro B exposure to a wider audience. When Philani was
invited to guest on KAYA FMs Friday AM comedy show he introduced his
friend Castro B to DJ Pat Cash who himself is a great supporter of
traditional music and the many artists who tend to be forgotten in our
Castro' s commitment with this series of remixes is to honour our often
neglected and forgotten traditional artists and to highlight the
essence of their music with a sprinkle of sugar and spice from his
magic pot of rhythms.
MELT 2000 label boss Robert Trunz said: DJ Castro's Pedi background
must be part of his love and devotion for traditional music. I'm
humbled to see with how much respect he goes about wrapping the
original music into taste- and colouful new rhythmic paintings of
highly accessible club hits.
Track Listing (30 Second Samples click here)
1. VUGANI NOBA NILELE Castro B & Mantombi Matotiyana
2. HAMBA NAYE - Castro B & AMAMPONDO
3. FATHER OF MY CHILDREN Castro B & BUSI MHLONGO
4. BUNGA (Radio Edit) Castro B & MABI THOBEJANE
5. MOVE SALOP Castro B & DELLA TAMIN
6. MADELEZA - Castro B & Mangaliso Maxanjana
7. LETS TALK SHIYANI! Castro B & SHIYANI NGCOBO feat. MABI THOBEJANE
8. ULILELANI Castro B & AMAMPONDO feat. DAVE MAYEKANA & LUNGISWA
9. MANTOMBIS CALLLING Castro B & Mantombi Matotiyana
10. THIRSTY FOR HUMANITY Castro B & ZENA EDWARDS with THE BUSHMEN OF THE KALAHARI
11. MATHABO Castro B & THABANG LETSATSI
12. DONT BITE, CROCODILE Castro B & BUSI MHLONGO
13. SOLIDMA Castro B & MARITA MABOTO
14. SEKODIKO - Castro B & MABI THOBEJANE & Ntotone
15. INGOMA (CASTRO) Castro B & VALENCIA KHESAA
Castro B says: I give special thanks to god first, he who made me what I am and for giving me the gift of music.
My love goes to my parents, my extended family, my daughter Londiwe and her mother.
Philani Mabanga - the gentleman who stood by me trough good and bad times deserves a special THANK YOU !
Special thanks to my crazy crew DJ Sprite, DJ Lucious, DJ Zee, Sipho Ngwane, Thami Ngubani, Msotho and Lucky.
My special thanks to Bra Bisa (Mabi Thobejane) for being AfricaÙs best drummer and percussionist and for helping me in the project.
Thanks to Robert and Nico Tando of MELT 2000 for their moral support during my sessions at the farm.